Student Attendance (STS-A002)
Student Attendance The Compulsory School Attendance Law in Tennessee (TCA-49-6-3001) requires children (ages 6-17 inclusive) to attend school each day. Students who accumulate five (5) days of unexcused absences will be required to attend a conference at the school with their parent/legal guardian and may be referred to Juvenile Court according to the CMCSS Progressive Truancy Intervention Plan (STS-P010). The following are official or adequate excuses that should be turned in to the Attendance Secretary in the school office:
- Medical note (doctor, dentist, hospital, etc.) for which the student was a patient
- Court note for which the student was required to be in court
- Funeral notice (obituary/funeral program of a family member)
- Military deployment paperwork-for military dependents, TN Law (TCA 49-6-3019) allows the following for out of country deployments: (over 12 months)
- 1 excused absence when the parent leaves for deployment
- 1 excused absence when the parent returns at the end of deployment
- Up to ten (10) days excused absences when the parent is home from the deployment for Rest and Recuperation
- For deployments less than 12 months, local policy allows up to five (5) consecutive days of excused absences (either before or after the deployment) when the parent deployment is less than twelve (12) months
- Military paperwork/documentation MUST be provided to the school for these to be excused.
- Parents or legal guardians may submit notes for students to be excused up to five (5) days per school year, for any reason. To be excused, notes must be provided by the parent or legal guardian, and received by the school within five (5) school days of the absence.
Please note that Out-of-school suspensions shall be deemed unexcused absences.